Look, I’m all for haute cuisine. In fact, I’m tempted to lie and tell you that the picture to the right is pan-fried Fijiian oysters with julienned pommes de terre and saffron aioli. But it’s not. It’s chicken fingers and cheese fries. Sometimes you just want comfort food.
Makes: you forget you’ve ever been to Denny’s
Total kitchen time: 45 mins
- 1-1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 box Corn Flakes (plain, no raisin or strawberry BS)
- 1 tbsp rosemary (I used dried for this recipe, but fresh works too)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the chicken thighs, removing any excess fat. Cut into 1″ strips and place in a baking dish. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken and add the paprika and buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 425 and adjust the top rack so it is 6-8″ from the top heating element.
- Combine the dry ingredients (Corn Flakes -pepper) in a food processor. Pulse a few times, but not too many that you end up with dust. Keep the mixture coarse for crispiness.
- Spread 1/2 of the Corn Flake mixture on a plate. One by one, shake the chicken pieces dry and roll in the breading, coating thoroughly. Arrange on a greased or non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flipping once. When 15 minutes is up, if they don’t look crispy, set your oven to broil and watch them closely (about 2-3 minutes).
Serve with french fries (tossed with crumbled blue cheese and sea salt) and home-made BBQ sauce (sorry blog readers, I’ll never tell!).