If you’re looking for a Valentine’s Day treat, this recipe screams Besame Mucho! In an unusual but spot-on pairing, the white chocolate and pomegranate bolster the delicate flavor of the lobster without overpowering it. Plus, your date will think you spent years at culinary school for pulling off this dish. You can skip the Panther Musk cologne tonight – this meal is the only aphrodisiac you’ll need.
Makes: 2 lovers swoon
Total kitchen time: 30 minutes
- 2 fresh lobster tails (as large or small as your budget)
- 1 pomegranate (or, if you’re in a hurry, 1/2 cup pomegranate juice)
- 4 Oz. high-quality white chocolate
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Set the top rack about 10″ below the heating element. This recipe also works great in a toaster oven, if you’ve got one.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the pomegranate. In a large bowl filled halfway with water, peel apart the pomegranate. The arils (they look like purple corn kernels) will sink to the bottom and the pith will float to the top. Discard all but the arils.
- Using my favorite squeezing tool, a potato ricer, squeeze as much juice as possible from the arils and reserve.
- Prepare each lobster tail by removing the membrane that covers the meat. Turn the tail upside down (as pictured) and cut away the transparent exoskeleton by trimming along the edges.
- Arrange the lobster tails, meat side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. If necessary, make a “U” out of a tin foil log to help keep the tails stable. Divide the butter between the two tails and bake for 15 minutes or until the lobster is just tender.
- Reduce the pomegranate juice in a small skillet over very high heat. You’re looking for the juice to reduce by about half, or until it starts to look slightly syrupy.
- Melt the white chocolate in a small saucepan over VERY low heat. White chocolate will burn easily if it is overheated. If this happens, throw out the chocolate and start again.
- Once the white chocolate is melted, drizzle in the reduced pomegranate juice. Use a spoon to swirl the pomegranate into the white chocolate so it looks pretty.
- Plate the lobster and spoon the white chocolate sauce onto the meat.
Serve hot atop a bed of julienned asian pears. As a side, try a souffle or a panzanela salad. You and your date will be quite happy for your efforts.