Here’s my twist on a french classic. The coriander and mustard provide savory, earthy notes that balance the saltiness of the blue cheese butter. Add some julienned yam fries and a glass of Cabernet and you’ve got an unbeatable meal.
Makes: 2 enthralled Frenchmen
Total kitchen time: 45 mins
- 2 8-10 Ounce New York strip steaks
- 2 yams, peeled (try to find evenly shaped yams)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and finely diced
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 5 tsp sharp blue cheese (I recommend Rogue River)
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- coarse salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 and set the upper rack about 8″ from the top.
- Using a mandolin or v-slicer, julienne the yams. You’re looking for thin strips, about 1/8″. If you don’t have a slicer, you’ll spend the next 2 hours doing this by hand. Oh well, it’s fun, right?
- Toss the yams with olive oil and garlic to coat. Salt generously and spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400, tossing often to prevent burning.
- In a mortar and pestle or small food processor, combine the coriander seeds, mustard power, white pepper, 3 wrists of black pepper, about 1 tsp of coarse salt and about 4 tsp of olive oil. Blend until the coriander seeds are relatively small.
- Coat the steaks with the coriander mixture and set aside.
- Preheat a very heavy skillet over high heat. Seroiusly, get this thing hot. Once it is smoking (literally) add the steaks and sear each side until a delicious crust forms, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter, blue cheese and half of the thyme in a small bowl. Remove the yam fries from the oven and toss with the remaining thyme.
- Plate the steaks and fries. Place a generous dollop of blue cheese butter atop the steak and watch it melt in a ballet of buttery flavor.
Pour yourself a full-bodied glass of red wine and light a few candles. This dinner can’t be beat.
Neu.de Gutschein - Gratis Neu.de Gutscheincode