Nothing completes a beautiful summer day like a great steak. And when it comes to satisfying my taste buds and my wallet, flank steak can’t be beat. Wow, that was so incredibly corny…
Anyway, there are 2 secrets (not anymore) to flank steak: 1) Don’t cook it past medium rare, and 2) let it rest at least 10 minutes before slicing. Naturally, flank steak is a very tough, fibrous cut of meat. If you overcook it, it will toughen up and lose its character. Also, if you slice it (remember, with a sharp knife on a steep bias) before the juices have had time to redistribute, it will quickly dry out.
Makes: Enough for 2 frugal gourmets (college students, I’m looking at you)
Total kitchen time: 30 mins (plus marinating time)
- 1 lb flank steak (just multiply out this recipe if you’ve got a larger crowd)
- 1 cup prepared mojito marinade
- Place the flank steak in a large shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate 30 mins 4 hours. Remove from the fridge at least 40 minutes before cooking to let it come to room temperature.
- Heat your grill (or grill pan) over very high heat. You want to get a nice char on the outside of the meat before the heat has time to permeate to the center.
- Grill the steak, about 3 minutes per side, depending on your grill. Use your favorite doneness-testing method (the thumb crevice; cut and peek; tarot card), but don’t let the meat cook past medium rare. Remember, also, that the meat will carryover when it rests.
- Remove your steak from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes on a carving board. Slice into thin strips across the grain of the meat, holding your knife at a steep angle.
Serve with whatever makes you happiest. Corn on the cob with jerk butter is a family favorite. Or, add your favorite tuber for some “meat and potatoes” action.
5 comments on “Mojito Flank Steak”
I’m a college student and yet this is the only meal on your blog that I didn’t get the pleasure of eating.
We should definitely fix that!
And when I say “we”, I mean I will actually try to make the meal; then you can jump in right before I ruin it.
http://ringlink.org/user.php?op=userinfo&uname=jessie8silva Thanks for that awesome posting. It saved MUCH time 🙂
http://www.socksphotography.com/Eventphotography/Audi-Fashion-Festival-2010/12280619_JQ3jD#875964010_AKQnJ Thanks for that awesome posting. It saved MUCH time 🙂