This dessert is so good that you’ll make an “ooo” face when you eat it. The silkiness of this gelato comes not from some mysterious culinary secret, but from the inclusion of lots and lots of fat. There’s no two ways around it, folks: great ice cream is heavy (iced) cream. I’m confident that your guests can look past your nutritional indiscretions for a rare treat like this.
Makes: 8 bowls of hazelnut heaven
Total kitchen time: 20 minutes plus freezing
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (get the best stuff you can find)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 13 Oz. nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 personal trainer
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream, half and half, and sugar. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to 170°F.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the nutella – yes, all of it. Wisk together until well combined.
- Refrigerate the mixture until it has chilled thoroughly, at least 6 hours. Then, freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
That’s it. No special magic, just a lot of tasty ingredients and a carefree attitude towards gravity. Garnish with a dessert wafer, or serve with fresh raspberries.
1 comment on “Velvet Hazelnut Gelato”
So wait, do you have to have an ice cream maker to make this? And if so, can I borrow yours? 🙂