I’ve got great glassware and I can mix a decent drink. So what’s the next step in advancing my home cocktail program? Custom drink coasters, naturally. I made these laser-etched, marble and gold coasters to match the pattern on my ice stamp, which is either very thoughtful or clinically obsessive, depending on your perspective. Here’s how I made them.
- Buy some marble coasters. The same technique will work with other natural stone, and with larger pieces like a cheese board or serving tray.
- Most (not all) marble coasters will have a sealant or coating on them. If it looks glossy, it’s probably coated. Sand off the coating with 180 grit sandpaper. This will help the gold leaf adhere. Make sure the coaster surfaces are clean and dry before the next step.
- Coat the top surface of the coasters with metal leaf adhesive, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Allow to dry until tacky as instructed.
Working one at a time, lay a sheet of gold leaf flat on your work surface. Place the coaster, adhesive-side-down, onto the gold leaf. Give it a good push and a little shimmy from side to side. Then, use a brush (I like silicone pastry brushes) to push any overhanging parts of the gold leaf into any empty areas of the adhesive. Handle the coasters carefully at this stage, as the gilding can easily scratch.
- Next, fire up your laser cutter / engraver. This is the cool part. Using minimal power and raster etching (as opposed to vector cutting), the laser will vaporize the gold foil while leaving the marble beneath largely unscathed. This leaves you with incredibly sharp lines. A few tips:
- Your artwork will need to be inverted before etching. That is, the black parts of the artwork gets removed, and the white parts of the artwork is where the gold leaf will remain.
- If you’re using a “full bleed” design like mine, make sure the black area of your artwork extends beyond the edges of your coasters.
- Running these etching jobs in a large batch is way faster than etching them individually. To get the artwork aligned with the coasters, lay down a sheet of butcher paper across your laser cutting bed. In your artwork, create an outer outline in, say, green. Then, arrange the multiple instances of your design – say, 6 columns, 2 rows. In a first pass, disable the black raster layer, and set the green layer to just barely singe the paper you laid down. Now, you have a set of faint circles that correspond to exactly where you should place your coasters. Turn back on the black raster layer and you’re ready to etch.
- Finally, seal your coasters using a spray sealer for metal leaf.
I nearly cheaped out and bought faux gold leaf as opposed to the real stuff. I’m so glad I didn’t. These coasters have the unmistakable luster of real gold. The sharp lines in the design represent a level of craftsmanship I could never have achieved by hand or with a stencil. And the fact that they’re DIY and one of a kind makes me that much happier, every time I set down my drink.
11 comments on “DIY Laser-Cut Gold Leaf Drink Coasters”
Test a new platform of binary options with the tools of technical analysis a set of ready-made strategies. The unique option of «risk-free trade». $ 154 920 Paid to our traders yesterday. Register now and get 10.000 virtual FUNDS in case of right forecast! This is FREE! далее тут 6iyxa.tk
wow, these are cool coasters! What do you think about these coasters over here
Never seen one of these laser cut gold leaf drink coasters. Very innovative and looks great.
Nice coasters. These are very innovative and looks so so great.!!!
This is a to an exceptional degree connecting with post, my compliments. It has a huge amount of key parts that really impacts it to work. Additionally, I love the setup and wordings. You really have a beguiling force that gets everyone in to your blog. Sublime one, and prop it up. Much gratefulness to you such a brilliant aggregate for considering your substance and your per clients. Your blog held my space perfect to the plain end, which isn’t everything viewed as an unmistakable movement!!
Avaya 3312 exam is a required test for Avaya Aura Contact Center certification. Avaya Aura Contact Center is a technical professional who . To help you pass Avaya 3312 exam, latest Avaya 3312 exam questions are available for you.
Buy commercial playground equipment from Recreation Today and enhance your children’s social skills
Interested in buying commercial playground equipment? Contact Recreation Today and our customer services team will guide you through the whole process along with providing you with a free quote!
thanks for all things